E34 wheels - replacement options?

I have a 1995 525TDS SE fitted with the metric wheels/tyres.

Whilst the wheels/tyres are in good condition and have reasonable mileage left, I know the tyres are expensive and want to find / put on "the replacement wheels" - trouble is I can't remember what these are or what vehicles they are / were fitted to, so I can do a Google / search for some on E-Bay.

Can someone please advise and if anyone has any they want to sell I would be interested - and will have these to dispose of afterwards...

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

There are a ton of wheels available on the open market which do not require metric tire fitment. For the price of a set of metric tires, you can buy both wheels and tires that will be fitted and balanced making installation a mere breeze. look around.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Try tirerack.com

Enter your vehicles specs and see if anything appeals to you. If you have to, call them and ask questions. They are extremely easy to talk to and will find something that they will guarantee will fit.

I got wheels and winter tires for my 325i for less than $1,000 mounted, balanced, and delivered to my door.

Reply to
joe_tide

joe_tide" wrote

Except that tirerack doesn't ship to England last I heard.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Best option is 16" with 225/55/16 tyres, Michelin Pilots if you can afford them. Don't be tempted by 17s, they tend to tramline and cause other problems on E34s unless your suspension and stering parts are in top condition.

Reply to
John Burns

Crap! ;-)

Reply to
joe_tide

The previous owner of my E34, had M-Tech suspension with M-Tech 17" wheels fitted, to cure wander and tramlining. This was about 4 years ago, after he'd had 2 BMW dealers replace any worn parts in an attempt to cure the problem, while the car was running on std suspension and wheels. Seems to have worked, because there is no sign of either at present. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions - will look around

Nick

Reply to
Nick

You want to convert your tires AND wheels to inch size, probably 16" or 17". the Metric size rims REQUIRE a metric size tire, and to get away from the metric tires, you have to also get away from the metric rims.

since the metric rims were a factory option, my guess is that you should be able to find lots of BMW OEM E34 16 WHEELS on eBay. If you take out OEM, then your search will also render hits for after market products, and you can swap between 16 and 17 for hits that have other rim diameters. You could even try 15, but I can't imagine that 15's would make you very happy.

PS Enter the ALLCAPS portion of this post in your eBay Search Box, then make alterations to broaden or narrow the results, for example BMW OEM E34 WHEELS will render all of the various sizes that are listed on eBay. If you remove E34 but leave the rest, the hits list will include the other BMW models too, but many of these hits won't be suitable so I can't imagine why you would do this other than the desire to explore.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info - I will be searching E-Bay in a minute or two !

Cheers, Nick

Reply to
Nick

17s are OK with //M-Tech suspension, it's designed for them. My friend's Alpina B10 is the same.
Reply to
John Burns