E34 wiring question.

I have a '94 525iSE. saloon, or sedan, Has a pattern rear spoiler with stop light LED's, which have never been connected. Is there a permanent live connection in the boot/trunk lid, or will I have
to wire one in myself to feed a relay for the LED's? I understand it needs to be done this way to avoid upsetting the bulb failure warning etc. TIA. Mike.