E36 1998 328i fuel guage calibration

When my 328i, 1998, E36, sedan was "new" to me, with the original instrument cluster, the fuel guage would be past the right "|" mark when filled. When the pointer was right over the "|" mark, the "+" went away in the Range reading from the OBC. At the right edge of the orange zone, the low fuel light would come on.

November 2003, the odometer area flaked out and the cluster was replaced under warranty. They moved over the odometer chip.

Immediately afterward, when the tank was full, the pointer was to the LEFT of the "1/1" area. Somewhere into the yellow area, almost at "0" the low fuel light would come on.

Over time it has gradually adjusted to something near the original characteristics.

Now, the indicator is slightly to the right of the "|" when full. Somewere on the right of the "1/1" the OBC Range loses the "+" mark (no longer over full). It's still into the orange/yellow area before the low fuel light comes on.

Can this be calibrated/reset to how I liked it before the cluster was swapped out? Easily done?

Thanks!

Reply to
Opossum