E36 320 Fuel level sensor replacement.

My fuel indicator on the dash now reads zero as does the OBC. I have narrowed it down to being the sensor in the drivers side (rh) tank by taking readings across the terminals of both this one & the passenger side. My question is, how does the assmebly in the tank come apart?? It seems to be a plastic ring holding the whole thing together, but this just doesn't want to move!! Anybody have any suggestions?? Would be much appreciated.

Reply to
nxpro

It's somewhat tough, but, yes, that plastic ring is what holds it in. I cut a piece of aluminum stock to make a spanner tool to catch on the 'cogs' of the ring. You can also use a large slip jaw wrench, I guess.

With luck you'll be able to repair the sender unit. Clean the contacts and check with your ohm meter that it runs smoothly from 250 ohms (full) to 10 ohms (empty)

You are supposed to replace the rubber gasket when you reassemble.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

You can take the fuel sender out by crossing 2 big screwdrivers and you will see that one of the thin black wires to the potentiometer has broken. This just needs to be resoldered on. This is quite a common problem with the E36 fuel sender units.

From Clive

Reply to
Clive

You guessed right. The right side sender unit is an integral part of the fuel pump, and thus it costs much more. Just your luck, I suppose ...

HINT When my car had this problem, I was able to correct it with Contact Cleaner and a business card. Use the business card as sort of sand paper along with the contact cleaner to clean the contacts of the sending unit.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

PS I used a 1/4 inch Long Extension from my socket wrench set as a driver, and gave it a couple of whacks with my hammer. There is a rubber gasket that you want to take care not to screw up ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland