E36 325is - Is there a 6 Speed Transmission out there?

Hi, As the subject says, is there a 6 speed manual transmission that is a direct bolt on replacement for the factory 5 speed in the 1995 E36 325is? Something just doesn't site right with me with the 5 speed. The engine is at

3500 -3700 RPMs when I'm doing 75 - 80 MPH. That just seems really high for a "cruising" speed. My 2000 540i with 6 speed manual is no where CLOSE to those RPMs at the same speeds. (Yes I realise it's a completely different car.)

And who is this Getrag company who's name I keep seeing pop up with BMW transmissions?

Thanks, Wayne K

Reply to
Wayne K.

Here si one conversion:

It is way expensive! You may want to consider just installing a lower ratio differential.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Here si one conversion:

It is way expensive! You may want to consider just installing a lower ratio differential.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Here si one conversion:

It is way expensive! You may want to consider just installing a lower ratio differential.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

The sixth gear may not intrinsically be a lower ratio than fifth on a five speed. But I'd agree - something like 21 mph/1000 rpm in fifth seems very low for a BMW which are all designed for very high speed cruising. My old

525 auto from about the same time was something like 36mph/1000 in 5th gear. But the easiest way would be to change the final drive unit.

BMW buy in their transmissions and Getrag make the manual ones - ZF the autos, although some US cars use GM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, Are you taking about the gears in the rear end? If so, who makes different gear sets for the E36 3 series? Where can I purchase a different "final drive unit" Will I find them on Bavauto.com and the like, or is it a more specialized piece of kit?

Cheers, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Differential building is an art. You don't just install gears. That said, here are 2 places I can recommend:

Both have great reputations, and I have personally bought from Jim Rowe at Metric Mechanic.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

To me the easy way would be a secondhand complete unit. Probably from a

328.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)