E36 Alarm System PLEASE HELP

Please help!

I have an E36 with the standard after market alarm/central locking system. For some reason the alarm/central locking was not always working from the bleeper - sometimes for some reason if I made sure I shut the passenger door last then it worked.

Now it is not working at all, the bleeper doesn't activate the car at all. Central locking still works when I use the key in the door though. Have mentioned it to a friend mechanic but he says it is not worth looking at and to buy a new one system.

Does anyone have any suggestion where I should look any help is greatfully appreciated.

Many Thanks

Toby snipped-for-privacy@beer.com

Reply to
Toby

If it is the after market alarm system, then it's not standard. The standard alarm in a BMW product that can be installed either at the factory, or (more likely) by the dealership. The standard alarm system is a simple plug-n-play device that simply plugs into the vehicle's wire harness. The standard system goes in the trunk.

If you are having trouble with a BMW alarm system, then _maybe_ somebody here will know what's up, but if you really have an aftermarket system, then you're on your own. If the Central Locking works, then the trouble is in the controller for the alram system. It could be something relative to the antenna, or the transmitter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well - actually it goes under the dash on the passengers side. The only thing that connects in the trunk as an accessory is the CD-player. The car is pre-wired for an alarm, and one company (Stellar) makes alarms that have a harness designed to plug into the under-dash harness. I've heard varying reports on the Stellar alarms.

The "factory" alarm was made by Alpine, and didn't include features such as "code jumping" where the key sends a different code every time it communicates with the alarm. Minor thing actually since most thieves don't have the equipment to intercept and record alarm codes. The majority are smash and grab - and no alarm will actually deter them. I find it doubtful if there is much of a market in the stolen-car market for E36's now. They are getting a bit long in the tooth.

It could be as simple as the key-fob battery being dead. That was my first thought on reading his posting. If he decides to replace the whole system, and the system is a factory system - and if his mechanic friend can remove it complete with the harness adapter to the factory harness - it's worth money on Ebay (they usually go for $40-140)

Reply to
Don

Thanks It is a standard BMW alarm.Sorry to not be so technical but it has the BMW sticker on the remote. I actually brougth a new bleeper from BMW too. Obviously there is a connection failure somewhere, ay idea where i should look? or even start to look? is there any connections with the passenger door, as before it stopped working it sometimes it didn't work unless this door was shut last for some reason? any help please!!!!!

thanks

toby

Reply to
Toby