E36 battery dilemma

I own a 1994 e36 320i SE.
The battery is DEAD. No last dregs of power in it whatsoever.
I need to get it out of the boot (sorry, I'm British, I mean "trunk") to
charge it.
Because the battery is dead, the central locking isn't working, and without central locking I can't unlock the boot.
Neither of my keys open the boot. I don't see any lever near or under the dashboard/steering wheel to pop the boot open. Though there is one for the bonnet (hood!) so I'd assumed that it would be nearby.
Any ideas?
Chapman
My E36 can be opened manually by using the key in the lock, and then pushing the button. It's really quite easy.
Turn the key to the right, then back to the center, then push the button and the trunk (boot) will open.

It doesn't work for me. I've been out there for 45 minutes today trying different combinations of key turn/button press combinations.
I think its safe to say that I've exhausted all avenues!
Chapman.

pushing
and
Chapman Baxter wrote:

You can charge the battery from under the hood/bonnet.

You can?? I shall investigate.
Thanks
Chapman
Raise the hood and look along the firewall in the area of the right side frame rail. There is a large + terminal under a protective cover. Since you are in Britian, your + terminal might be on the left side. In the USA, the terminal is just in front of the passenger seat in the engine bay. On your side of the pond, the terminal may be in the same place, but the steering column and brake aperatus would be in the area as well, so your car may have it on the opposite side of the car to keep it in an accessible spot.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:23:07 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"

On the RHD cars it's still in the same place. Steering wheel side, up the back towards the firewall/bulkhead.
Big black thing, 3 inches long, 1 inch wide with a big red cross on the top.
Pop the plastic top off and you should see a great big shiny 17mm (I think) nut. This is your front jump point +ve.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Thanks to all for guidance and advice.
I've found the terminal and hooked up the charger and the battery is supposedly on charge right now.
Well actually, neither the 'charging' or 'ready' light are on on the charger so I'm in two minds as to whether anything is actually happening but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.
The battery/central locking problem is a symptom of a bigger and more serious problem with the car. If I have time I might make a post about it on this newsgroup sometime this week to get some advice.
Regards Chapman

All of that aside, the trunk opens manually, so the battery conditiion ought not keep you from getting in.

ought
Have you actually read my original post??

Yes. You said that you can't open the trunk with the remote because the battery is dead.
My reply is that the trunk can be opened with the key without regard to the battery condition. This in only NOT true if you're using the Valet Key, but the valet key will prevent the lock from turning in any direction. The turnk lock can be turned left and right, and when left in the horizontal positon (RIGHT turn), the lock will not respond to the central locking -- which in your case isn't working now because the battery is dead. When turned to the LEFT, then back to vertical, the trunk will unlock and allow you to press the button in to open the trunk. You've insisted this does not work on your car, but it should because that is how the engineers designed it to work. The Valet Key is not able to turn the lock, and this could be your problem.

the
but
turnk
the
your
problem.
Then all I can think is that I must have TWO Valet keys, because neither will work!
Chapman

You haven't been very clear on this. does the key not even fit into the lock, or does it simply not turn the lock once inserted? The valet key does not fit at all, but if the key physically fits into the lock but fails to turn, then the lock is dirty. In this instance, some graphite should help alot.
On my car, I can turn the key, but the lock was sticking, and I had to give it an extra hard twist to make it open.
In any case, the lock is designed to be opened manually, and if yours will not open, then you have issues with the lock or the key. The central locking system is not the only means to lock and unlock the trunk.

does
give
locking
Both keys fitted into the lock, but wouldn't turn either way. Even with a real good hard twist.
However, I used jumpleads from my new car to activate the central locking, and I can now access my boot/trunk. Woohoo.
The only catch is that now the damn thing won't lock again, either under the central locking or manually. Haha. Lucky the boot is empty really.
Anyone in South Wales (UK) wanna buy an L plate e36 320i SE in white with a siezed engine?? Har har.
Regards Chapman
Chapman Baxter wrote:

You did connect the negative lead to a ground point on the car????
With the charger on it should give you enough power to open the central locking.

Yep. Didn't charge though. I'm borrowing a neighbours charger as I have doubts about mine.
Chapman.
Did you get it? MZ