E36 Blower motor resistor

Can anyone confirm that the E36 (98 323is) does not have both of these parts? is it an either or situation? I can not find the location of the blower motor resistor. When I look where the manual and everone else says it
is supposed to be, I find the final stage unit.
This is what i bought first, and no these are not my auctions.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category3546&itemy83361184&rd=1
but when I go to replace it I find this where its supposed to be.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category3545&itemy82944589&rd=1
My climate control computer was already repaired and quit again (1 year) My symptoms aren't like they were the 1st time. now the controls work and the cc unit LED work, just no blower.
I have just replaced the output stage on my 323 (UK) model. It took a long time to find it. It was located in the passenger footwell, going into the side of the blower unit (2 screws). and the one plug. I had to remove the footwell heater ducting to even see the wiring going to it. These units on ebay are obviously the same unit but for different cars as the plugs are different. I suggest that you look at your old plug first before ordering. Mine was the second one with 4 wires on a 5 pin plug, made by Bosch. The symtoms that I had was that the aircon controller worked as nomal but the blower just did not turn. Mine is by the way a RHD UK model so I do not know if your unit will be in the driver side footwell or not. Perhaps someone else could comment. Len.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category3546&itemy83361184&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category3545&itemy82944589&rd=1
<snip>

Len,
Where abouts did you get your replacement part? I also have a 98 323i and the fan speed just has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it's fine, other times just blows full no matter what the fan selector led says.
Many TIA
Jon
I got mine fron the local BMW agent part number, B64.11.6.929.540 It cost about 80ukp. My model has the dual control aircon unit Sorry for the delay in answering but I have been away. Len

By the way presuming that yours is the same as mine, black 5pin plug with 4 wires in, I think 2 thick and 2 thin. Check 1 of the thin ones with a volt meter (negative to ground) and adjust the blower control up and down, the voltage should go up and down as you adjust it. You should also have 12volts on 1 of the thick cables, if not a fuse or relay might be faulty. Hope this helps. Len