E36 BMW Central Locking Failure

Help please
My cenral locking no longer works from the remote or from the driver's door lock or boot lock. Where can I start looking to track down the fault? My Haynes manual is
artfully vague as to the whereabouts and identification of the controller.
Thanks in advance
Tony
In my '92 525i the electrical motor wear out, they are on top of the lock itself. I just bought one, this fixed the issue for this door. Next replaced them all.
Best regards, Marcel, '92 525i @ 337.500 km.