E36 - broken fuel pump? How can I tell?

Ive been trying to start my BMW e36 1997 last few days - and no success. Tried last night and the fuel consumption gauge would show far right when I was trying to start (and chugging like it was trying to
catch), and today, it doesn't show any fuel consumption - and all I hear is the car turning over and not even a close engine start. Does that mean the fuel pump is fried? or maybe relay? help!
I believe there are 2 Fule Pumps in these. 1 at the area of the Fuel Injection system and another one in the Gas Tank area. Hard to diagnose over the Internet.
jim snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

jim snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the fuel consumption guage if the engine isn't running. Just go with the basics... do you have fuel? How about spark?
--
-Fred W

There is only 1 fuel pump on this car. The pump is located in the fuel tank You would have to lift the rear seat and loosen the panel behind the driver.Check the power supply on the purple/green wire. If the power supply is ok,the pump is probably fried...