E36 camshaft Sensor

Hi,
I posted a few weeks back about lack of power when accelerating in my 318ti. I also had some random rough running on start up. Just had the car serviced
today and the dealer says it's the camshaft sensor requiring replacement. The cost all in is 150 inc vat, just over an hours labour. What's involved in the sensor replacement and does that sound reasonable? Might go to an independent and see what they're asking.
Any thoughts?
Cheers.
Is your engine M40 or M42 mate?

dealer seemed to think this fault has quite an effect on power so looking forward to next week to see how it goes.
Sorry I don't have a manual for '98 models mate. But when changing camshaft sensors, the battery negative terminal should be disconnected. Try to trace the wiring back fro the sensor and locate the wiring connector attached to the bracket behind the oil filter. Remove the screw or release the clips securing the wiring ducting to the front of the engine then release the sensor wiring from the ducting. Unscrew the sensor securing bolt and withdraw the sensor. Recover the O-ring if it is loose. Refitting is the reversal of removal.