E36 convertible door speakers

1998 E36 M3 convertible with HK 10-speaker audio system.

The right door speaker(s) are buzzing and probably need replaced.

Can anyone recommend equal or better aftermarket speakers? I'm fairly happy with the quality of the sound, so I don't want a major upgrade.

I just want to replace the 3" (I think that's the size) in the door and spend less than $100. If there's a tweeter set out there that's WAY better than the stock, then I'd consider replacing them at the same time.

I also want something that will fit with as little effort as possible. I've been on MB Quarts website, and they only seem to have direct replacements for the 5.25" speakers.

Failing that, does anyone the technical specifications of the 3" speakers (impedance, power output etc.)?

Cheers

Reply to
mcquarrie

Then keep-it-simple..

Go to Ebay autos and search a bit. These speakers are sold there all the time at very reasonable prices.

Sometimes the simple answer is the best answer..

Reply to
Don

Thanks for the tip..obviously Ebay is a good place to look but right now there is not much available that I can "drop-in".

Someone is selling an original HK midrange and tweeter set for the front doores (just 4 speakers) and had bids up to $130! Is that good; seems high to me.

Reply to
mcquarrie

pulled the passenger side front mid range speaker today, the buzzing one. There are 11 clips holding the door panel on. What the Bentley service manual doesn't tell you is, next to the airbag, is a small (< 1 inch) panel with "AIRBAG" written on it. This is actually a screw cover; behind it is a fourth Torx screw.

FYI the part no. of the speaker is 65.13 - 8 366 466, spec 20W 3ohm. diameter is 2.5" (inches). couldn't find a direct replacement from any local car audio places.

The speaker comes out of its plastic housing pretty easy, with a small screwdriver and some care. The foam cone material was cracked all round the outer edge, so I spread a little clear silicone all round the crack, let it set 30 minutes, and bingo, no more buzzing. Sounds good, I hope it lasts.

Reply to
mcquarrie