E36 digital clock

Hello,

Is there a bulb inside the digital clock? It's part of the trip computer on my '98 M3 - the computer works and displays fine. The clock is still working - I can see the time in strong sunlight - but it's completely dim otherwise.

If there is a bulb I imagine changing it involves pulling the front of the unit off, or what?

Thanks.

Reply to
mcquarrie

Yes, there is a bulb inside, two actually.

The trip computer, On Board Display, can be removed by poking your finger into a hole in the top of the cubby hole and pushing the bottom of the OBD towards the shifter. (DUH!, why push the display towards the engine?)

Once the OBD is out, there is a row of light bulbs along the top edge that can be twisted 1/4 turn, and they pop right out. The bulbs are at the dealership, I don't know if they are available at your local parts house ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks a lot!!

Reply to
mcquarrie

On 11 Apr 2006 04:58:15 -0700, "mcquarrie" waffled on about something:

Jeff is quite correct... I'll just throw in my 2 pence worth though...

Find an old cash card (in the UK they don't have raised numbers like credit cards), or smooth/stiff bit of plastic. Poke this along the top of the OBC to help it away from the hole.

It's held in place along the top with 3 plastic clips, which on mine had become one with the plastic covering of the dash. Pushing something between eases it away and reduces the chance of it pulling the dash covering away.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

bought 2 bulbs from the dealership, but I'm not sure they are really what I need.

the left side of my OBD works fine - nice orange LED display the right side, the clock, is dim.

is this really a bulb issue?

all the buttons are illuminating normally

Reply to
mcquarrie

Yeah, it will be bulbs.

Reply to
Fred W

You're welcome.

Also, the On Board Display is really the On Board Computer, or OBC. Sorry.

You have a cubby hole below the OBC. The cubby has an access hole in the top, directly under the OBC. It you probe your finger inside the hole you will feel the catch that holds the OBC in place. Press the catch up and simultaneously pull the top of the cubby down and towards the shifter, and the OBC will slide out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's a good tip.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes. There are 6 (I think) bulbs total, 4 on the message and 2 on the clock.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There are only 4 bulbs, 3 for the message and 1 for the clock.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. Got to it today. Yes only 4 bulbs, 1 for the clock was out.

Swapped it with one of the other 3, and all good.

Thanks for the help.

Now, check my post re "power seat"

Reply to
mcquarrie

That was you? Crap ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:21:33 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" waffled on about something:

Ta... So my car didn't just suffer from a previous owner with bad gum disposal habits then... :o)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy