E36 engine change

Hiya,
Got everything unbolted apart from the gearbox, the top bellhousing bolts seem unreachable, can anyone suggest how I can undo them? Either that or I
was thinking about undoing the propshaft and taking the engine/gearbox out together and doing it outside the car?
Cheers, Nick

You need to at least drop the engine/gearbox down some to get to the bolts. The starter motor can be a pain too.
waffled on about something:

The starter more than a pain, it's a complete bast*rd!
As previous poster said, put jacks under gearbox, put a couple of slings round the engine, remove the engine mounts, then lower everything back down and then you should be able to undo the other bolts.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Support the transmission with a jack, and loosen the transmission support brace. You often need a universal (flex) end on a long ratchet extension to reach those suckers.
FloydR
Take them out together. The only way to take them out separately is to remove the transmission first from below and then the engine from above. It is much easier to take them out together.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, someone suggested to undo the propshaft in front of the diff or behind the gearbox, slide it all forward a bit, then I can get to the nuts, either way I'm determined to finish it :)
Cheers, Nick

Take the propshaft off completely. It's only a few nuts and bolts.