E36 Headlight Bulbs ?

I have an E36 saloon and the owners book says H7 bulbs for both headlights and main beam. The Haynes manual also says H7 but the car is fitted with
H1s. What bulbs does your E36 have and what's wrong with the books ?

H1 is the standard fitting to all E36s as far as I know. Use Osram Silverstars or Philips Vision Plus. Don't go for 100W lamps or any of this "Sooper Dooper Blue Xtra Lumen" shit though.
JB

I had 100W high beams in my E36 and they were great.

I had 100W high beams in my E36 and they were great.
The LKM (lichtkontrolmodul) doesn't put up with 2x therated current for long. Also the 55W retrofit Silverstars/Vision Plus lamps give more light on the road than the 100W lamps anyway.
JB

I have the osrams on low beam and 100W on high, it's like daylight ;-)

Must comment on this.
Apart from being illegal (who really cares?) many of these 100W bulbs do not have UV filtering and I know the E38 series and those that have similar headlight units as the diffuser lenses are plastic and can go yellow and crack under high intensity UV as generated by the 100W halogen/xennon bulbs.
Perhaps a better compromise would be the 80W bulbs.
The outer (dip) units have a glass lens so no problem except for the extra heat generated (50W - 100W).
Sir Hugh of Bognor
snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

I was unaware that halogen bulbs could produce UV spectrum light. Do you have some evidence that this is so?
--
-Fred W

Not personally but anything that produces high intensity light also emits UV. not usually anything to harm you and me unless you really feel like staring at it however Plastic or rather "Plexiglas" or Acrylic to give its real name is prone to UV radiation and will turn yellow - why do you think the celluloid and later Acrylic rear windows in convertibles were replaced by glass - they turned YELLOW and plastic can even turn a milky white.
Honestly. If you look at the spec of legit bulbs you will find the quartz envelope has UV filtering - minute all the same but it is there.
The Chinese & Taiwanese 100W bulbs do not have UV filtering. Might not cause any harm but ....... be prepared to swap the lens unless you don't do much night driving and then why get 100W bulbs - don't make the car go faster!
Sir Hugh of Bognor

That is excactly what they do do, but only at night.

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
On Mar 16, 8:00 am, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

While I'm with you that perhaps the cheap blue tint type bulbs are more about image than performance I can tell you categorically that 100W high beams in an E36 do infact light up the road as one would expect - the same as the 55W ones but brighter. There's no odd scattering or anything it's like replacing a 60W household bulb with a 100W one.
There is an argument however that the difference between the 100W high beams and the regular dipped beams is too much and can lead to "blindness" when you switch to dipped. ...and yes you do have to be careful that you're not blinding anyone coming the other way.
I never had any problem with overheating or discoloration. If there was UV concern I think we'd all be placing covers over the lights in the summertime.

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
RustY wrote:

It depends on what market you are in. H1's in Yurop. 9005/9006's in You-ess.
--
-Fred W

I think it depends on which side of the Atlantic you are on.
I notice this with several US/UK vehicles. ROVER for one, Chrysler is another. Over here (UK) headlamps are H1 & H7. ROVER in US had H1s we had H7.
A Sebring I had used H1s and the UK import had H7....
Check it out as the bulbs are different so if H1 fit use them.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
My Bentley manual, and my practical experience, is that the car takes H9006 Low Beams and H9007 High Beams.
My experience comes from replacing the bulbs. Having said that, the style of bulb defines the requirement. I see no problem with taking a high and low beam bulb to the store and buying another of whatever you have. I'm pretty sure the wrong bulb will not fit, so if what you have fits, buy some more. I like the SilverStar bulbs from Sylvania the best. They are pricey, but the light quality is definitely very good.

I notice a few others suggesting that the Atlantic Ocean plays a role in your lamp selection. My information assumed you were over here in the Colonies. Sorry if I assumed wrongly.

Hi Jeff
Florida - 5 years in the 1980s and again for a whole summer & fall 2000.
Hugh

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK