E36 HK Stereo Problem: Location of Amps or processing unit?

Hi, All,

I own a 1998 328i with the Harmon Kardon stereo upgrade.

This system has a switch on the console that turns on and off some kind of spatial processing which boosts the bass and alters the "stereo image" specifically for this model of car.

Recently I have had a problem where just the bass-boost and image "processing" switches on and off intermittently. The system works and sounds normal when it's working, so I know the problem is not a fuse or blown component. I suspect a loose connector, but I don't know the location of all of the components of the system.

I know about the in-dash head unit, of course, but are there seperate amplifiers? Is there some kind of processing unit seperate from the head unit?

Thanks for any info or hints!

Ken

Reply to
spampup

Wow, HK in an E36 is quite a rarity. I don't know, but the first place to look would be in the boot. As it is factory, then it may not be that easily spotted.

Reply to
Leroy