E36 Lock Cylinder Problem (1997 328i)

Few weeks back, I was having problem with my Lock Cylinder. Initially, when I inserted the key in the ignition, it was not spinning. I applied little force and then it completely stated spinning. After couple of tries, I got the the key in 2nd stage, the stage before car starts, and then again it started spinning and got locked. Now the status was that my ignition was locked and car was stuck in 2nd stage.

I towed to local garage where they fix BMW. The mechanic told me that I need to replace Ignition cylinder in order to fix the problem. Upon my permission, he replaced it. Now my car starts; however, ignition keep spinning if I do not insert the key properly. When I went back and talked to the guy, he told me that he only replaced Ignition Cylinder Housing and now if I want to fix the spinning problem, then I have to get him actual cylinder that sits in the housing. I have feeling that mechanic ripped me off.

My question is:

1.) Is it possible for the ignition to keep spinning if you replace the housing? 2.) Would spinning creates problem in the future? 3.) If possible, can any one explain me how housing and cylinder that sits in connects to each other.

P.S. He also made me get the master key in order to fix the problem.

Year: 1997 Model: 328i

Thanks,

AP

Reply to
apatel85

Well, he sure should have asked you if you wanted to take that "extra step", if you can even call it that, while he was in there...

Reply to
dizzy

As I often say here :::::::::::::::::

The only question you should ask the "mechanic" or Service guy is this:

"My XYZ doesn't work - can you fix it?"

When he starts to question you about what he should do or replace act the idiot (clue yourself up first just in case he is going to rip you off) and say "why as me - If I knew I would have told you what I wanted done"

Don't take "I have changed the ABC control unit but it still don't work - that will be $400 please"

Say - "Have you fixed it?"

Answer "No"

Say "Get stuffed - my keys please (if it can be driven) if not - go and fix it like you said you can - then I'll pay you for the bits that fixed it not for the bits I didn't need"

Come on Dizzy - what's wrong with that....

Reply to
Oscar