E36 needs new brake pads . . .

Page 2 of 3
Dodgy wrote:

The calipers should go back on easily if you push the pistons all the way back in, even with nice, thick new pads. And the pistons should go in easily if you loosen the bleeder valve for the fluid to come out of it while pushing the piston. Back in the old days in years past with other cars, I would push the pistons back in without loosening the bleeder--more brawn than brains I'd say, but it just never occurred to me to let some fluid bleed out...duhhhh.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

On 30 Aug 2006 09:45:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com waffled on about something:

It goes back up the pipe to the reservoir anyway... Just take a bit more push...
I prefer to keep it safe that way and not risk letting air in through the bleed nipple.
I hate bleeding brakes!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:13:17 +0100, Dodgy

So do I. Especially when I could have avoided it.
Take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir, and monitor the fluid level after you have pushed each piston back in. Be ready to use a big-bore drinking straw with your finger over the end like a pipette to remove brake fluid from the reservoir before it overflows...
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

But this is no big deal. You just loosen the nozzle and let a little fluid come out while you push the piston...makes the effort a good deal easier. Then just tighten the nozzle and that's it. You don't have overflow at the reservoir either. Don't worry about air getting into the lines.
But the reason I started loosening the nozzle with this car is that the talk was that not doing so while pushing in the piston could damage the system. How much truth there is here I don't know, but I always loosen now to be safe, and like I said it makes the job easier.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

On 31 Aug 2006 05:16:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

But I *do* worry about it, one little slip and it's in there.

Whatever works for you is fine. Quite how pushing brake fluid back up to the master cylinder can damage the system escapes me - perhaps someone can explain? Last weekend, I replaced *well* worn pads on a friend's '85 Alfa Spider without cracking any bleed nipples. It only took two hours and the brake pedal is rock solid.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

One little slip and it's in there? How? Loosen nozzle, push piston, fluid is displaced out of the valve, tighten nozzle...how can air get in? But what if it did somehow anyway? It'd be easy to get back out, no big problem. Not trying to start a petty argument understand, I just don't follow...
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

On 31 Aug 2006 05:59:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Of the two ways to do it, one of them has some possibility of letting an air bubble into the cylinder. The other one doesn't. It's really not worth debating if you're happy with cracking the bleed valves for this purpose.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

FWIW, I went to the trouble to pull out my Bentley Manual.

9. Slowly press piston back into caliper. Use care not to damage piston dust seal. See Fig. 6.
NOTE----
Open caliper bleeder screw when pressing piston back into caliper. Catch expelled fluid in appropriate container. This procedure is highly recommended in the case of cars with ABS.
Open the bleeder screw only when applying force to the piston. Do not allow air to be drawn in through the bleeder screw.
. . .
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Would that be the same manual as http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code 98
and if so, does it actually cover the 320i Coupe (E36/M50) - contrary to what the web page says?
If they can't get it right on their own web site, I'd rather ask someone who actually has the manual before mail-ordering it.
Andrew
Andrew Morton wrote:

Yep, that's it.

Well, no. But it doesn't state on the cover (or anywhere else, that I'm aware of) that it does.

I didn't catch that.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I thought maybe the manual did cover it but got missed off the web page.
Oh well, looks like Mr. Haynes gets a sale instead. <hopeful>Unless the 320i is so similar to the 325i that the Bentley manual will do?</hopeful>
Cheers,
Andrew
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I know the BMW TIS is not as authoritative as a Bentley manual, but it specifically say to push the caliper pistons back using special BMW tool 34 1 050 and to pay attention to the rising fluid level in the expansion tank.
--
-Fred W

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:54:42 -0400, Fred W

Well, what do *they* know?
--
Dan.

Fred W wrote:

Uh-oh, special tooooollllllssss. When I first bought my beamer, I called a local dealership with a specific question about oil changing, and the dip on the phone was sure to tell me that I would need a, uh, a special tool...... I'm still not sure what he meant, unless it was the big socket for getting the top off the filter housing with. I just went to NAPA and bought one, nothing special about it; would make a good headknocker though.
BTW, does your BMW TIS tell you about "lifetime" fluids? A lot of the crap from BMW ain't worth the paper it's written on.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Trouble with these gut feelings about 'extended' lubricant life is that they are just that - gut feelings. I doubt any individual has done the same research as the maker. And before you mention 'free' servicing on a new car as the reason, not every country gets this.
--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That's actually a good point, Dave. Not to infer you've never made one before... ;-)
I don't think I've ever seen *credible* evidence that shows the purported "lifetime fluid" was the actual cause of a failed transmission. Lots of anecdotal blabbering, but in all of those cases who's to say that the failure in question would not have happened if the fluid was changed every day?
--
-Fred W

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah, because this procedure is intended for use by BMW factory trained mechanics that will have such tools laying about the shop tool crib. But I prefer to use a "special tool" that I call a C-clamp. Works quite nicely, thanks, and doubles as a... well, a C-clamp.
The main point in my post (since you seem to have missed or ignored it) is that the manufacturer says you *don't* open the bleed screw when depressing the caliper pistons. This on the exact car in question, which by the way does have the dreaded ABS brakes.

Ah yes. That discredits them completely then, doesn't it. What do they know about the cars they make. I mean compared to you, that is...
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

But you, nor most of the readers of BMW TIS, are BMW factory trained techs with such tools laying about the shop tool crib. Point?

So, IOW, with your second and third sentence, you threw water all over the bullshit it the first, written above. You're trolling and don't even know it. BTW, I've always used the wooden handle end of a rubber hammer I have, and it also works quite nicely. I just put the wooden end flat up against the surface of the piston and, in effect, push with the rubber end.

Do they specifically say "don't" open the bleed screws when pushing the pistons back in? I frankly doubt it makes much difference to the brakes either way. It's just easier and less hassle to do it with the bleeder bleeding fluid.

The manufacturer says a lot of things, and leaves a lot out too. If you swallow all the hype, baloney and outright lies that comes from BMW, then I've got a bridge......
But you have Cliff's permission continue to not open the bleed screws.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Fred W wrote:

I just use my hands. Never had the need for a special or non-special tool.

Just your hands!? Damn, yer more man than I am.