E36 power backrest

Thanks. I thought it strange that the geniuses at BMW would allow me to

> screw up. How could I have doubted them so?

I fixed my passenger set-back in April 2006, with a new gear from odometergears.com. Many moons have passed since that post. Passenger seat recline is still good.

Drivers seat recline stopped today; or should I say "un-recline"? The seat-back goes back/down, but not forward/up. Is that the typical symptom of a broken gear? When pushing the switch to bring the seat- back up, I don't hear a motor turning. Am I dealing with a broken gear or an electrical problem? - all fuses are good.

Reply to
mcquarrie

I see no reason that the gear could not be broken and bound, preventing the motor from running. My guess is that you need another $40 gear from odometer.com, this time for the driver side seat.

If the gears are bound, you ought to be able to hear the motor run for a microsecond as it tries to go back and forth. Get a good listen, and switch back and forth on the Lean Button, you ought to be able to hear the motor transition from one bound up state to the other. It should sound like a click or slight whir for just the briefest moment ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I also had an issue with the mechanism. A 10 cts coin got stuck between the nut and the endless screw, preventing the motor to rotate. It heated a lot before I realized (helped with a small orientable mirror) there was a coin. The fuse didn't blow. With 100? the rapair, the gain isn't worth it! good luck

Reply to
frischmoutt

Yes. I did hear a very short noise from the motor when going forward...thanks for the confirmation. will post my results.

Reply to
mcquarrie

...but if it is bound up, how is it the seat can still move backwards?

Reply to
mcquarrie

The fore and aft of the entire seat is a different motor than the fore and aft of the seat back. There are two motors, one of them has a broken gear.

If you are telling me that the seat recline (seat back) moves in one direction but not the other, then I have to stand down on my thought of the broken gear. If the gear is broken, I do not think the seat back will move in either direction.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, moves back not forward. Side question; the big spring assists the seat back to move forward, is that right?

Reply to
mcquarrie

Unknown. But, if that is the case, you could mimic the spring by pulling the seat in the direction that the springs moves it. I assume the spring would help it to move forward, so if you pulled the seat towards the steering wheel as you operated the switch, then you could take the place of the spring. If this helped, then you would need to figure out what the issue is with the spring. If it does not help, then you are back to chasing the gears.

Obviously, pulling the seat and operating the button all while you are driving is not much help, and probably not very practical, but it is a good test.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

theseatin the direction that the springs moves it. I assume the spring would

It was the gear. New one from odometergears.com, seat moves ticketyboo.

Reply to
mcquarrie