E36 Service Reset Tool

Can anyone tell me how to reset the service lights (oil service and inspection) using i.e. Draper service reset tool. Thanks.

Reply to
preps

Ignition off.

Plug in tool firmly but carefully, set the switches to on / oil.

Ignition on, after 5-10s you get 5 green lights.

Ignition off, carefully remove too :-)

To reset inspection move the oil/insp switch and repeat above. You may need to wait longer than 10s.

Reply to
John Burns

On my 1995 E36, you can ground pin 7 from the diagnostic connector with a wire. Turn on the ignition, wait 5 seconds for oil reset, or about

20 for service reset. Then turn off, disconnect wire, and you should be ready to go. No need for a tool.
Reply to
rspen

is there any chance to couse some damage to ECU?

Reply to
SkF

Of course. If you ground the wrong pin, well... it's an expensive mistake.

On the other hand, $150 for a tool to short two pins together is an expensive thing too.

Ya pays ya money, or ya takes ya chances...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

In the UK the tool is only 10 GBP / $17. There must be cheaper tools in the US, on ebay meybe?

Reply to
John Burns

Yes there are cheaper, but I was referring to the Peake Research tool specifically.

Malt_Hound

Doesn't that provide additional diagostic information for the user though?

Reply to
Jeremy

Some of them do. Others just do the reset.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Thank you all for your help. Merry Christmas!!

Reply to
preps

For $150, you get a code reader too. Rather a different tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The coder reader ain't that accurate though. I've used one of these Peake tools for years.

-- Cliff .

Reply to
clifffreeling

Huh? Can you explain this a bit? It's a digital code set by the DME - how can the code reader have any "accuracy" issue - either the code is there or it's not.

My Peake tool sure seems to work just fine - was quite handy when wife accidentally failed to tighten the gas cap properly, once. I was quite worried as the Check Engine Light came on (totally forgot that it could be set by loose cap - so thought I might have a major problem) went home and slapped on the Peake tool, showed code for major evap leak and I promptly made the connection. Reset CEL, tightened gas cap, and voila - no more problem.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

More likely the conversion chart you have is wrong.

It's worked fine for me on the couple of times I've needed it - even although UK cars aren't really on the conversion chart. Indeed, it's more than saved its cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sure. Here's an example: I am currently getting a fault (with lit C.E. light) which tells me that the secondary air flow is too low in cylinders

4-6. The professional machine at my BMW repair shop says *minor leak detected*. Not really the same thing....see what I mean? These little tools are great for the DIYer, for resetting c.e. faults and oil and service countdown lights, but I wouldn't put too much stock in their diagnosing capabilities.

Well goody for you.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

They don't diagnose anything. The engine ECU does that and issues a code. The code reader not surprisingly just reads that code. But the same sequence of digits doesn't necessarily mean the same for all models - hence the need for the conversion charts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, that possibility occurred to me, but it's the chart that came with the tool. Anyway, the tech at the shop doesn't put a whole lot of trust in them.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

Naturally. Why do you suppose that he might prefer you to pay him to diagnose the codes?

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Makes sense, but the only problem is that I don't pay him for that. Hey listen, I'd like to think that my $150 tool is as good at diagnosing as his at the shop, but I just don't believe it is. Too bad.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

Watch my lips. It doesn't *diagnose* anything. It reads codes. There's a big difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)