E36 Service Reset Tool

There is no reason to think that your tool doesn't read the same stuff as the mechanic's tool reads. The codes are either OBD I or OBD II, depending on the year of your car, and the codes generated by OBD II are standardized just so people like you and I can buy the tool to read the codes and save money on repairs. My guess is you have a car that is 1996 or newer, and uses OBD II because there is no code reader to read OBD I. (The qualification being that the tool needed to read OBD I is expensive, and most home-mechanics won't have one in our collection of tools. If you actually have one, the odds are it's the same one the mechanic has, and you will have paid considerably more than $150 for it.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, ok. From what you said it would seem that the Peake tool is actually better. It's telling you *specifically* that the secondary air pump is not feeding air to cylinders 4-6 properly during startup. *Minor leak detected* means what? where? what system?

It apparently is not uncommon for the secondary air pump and/or its vacuum valve to fail from condensation, so unless you think there is an error in the Peake code sheet, I'd pull the vacuum valve and look for crud in the system.

Again, the Peake tool only reads codes from the DME, any issue about the code being too vague or whatnot would seem to be the fault of the programmer for the DME.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Your reasoning makes sense, but......but in my case, it just so happens that the seconary air pump, and valve, are still new, and clearly work just fine. The original pump on the car clearly crapped out (was making a racket and then stopped working) and had to be replaced.

I agree, it's a little vague. They can't find the leak (not without an extensive search that I don't want to pay for right now), but sometimes I seem to get the faint whiff of gasoline when idling with the door open. I'm waiting for it to get worse so as to detect it easier.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling