E36 Service Reset Tool

Page 2 of 2
Malt_Hound wrote:

Makes sense, but the only problem is that I don't pay him for that. Hey listen, I'd like to think that my $150 tool is as good at diagnosing as his at the shop, but I just don't believe it is. Too bad.
-- Cliff

Watch my lips. It doesn't *diagnose* anything. It reads codes. There's a big difference.
--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

There is no reason to think that your tool doesn't read the same stuff as the mechanic's tool reads. The codes are either OBD I or OBD II, depending on the year of your car, and the codes generated by OBD II are standardized just so people like you and I can buy the tool to read the codes and save money on repairs. My guess is you have a car that is 1996 or newer, and uses OBD II because there is no code reader <this is a qualified statement> to read OBD I. (The qualification being that the tool needed to read OBD I is expensive, and most home-mechanics won't have one in our collection of tools. If you actually have one, the odds are it's the same one the mechanic has, and you will have paid considerably more than $150 for it.)