E36 Shifter

Question on an E36 M3 shifter. There's a spring-loaded catch that you push in to shift to 5th gear. This catch keeps the shifter centered in the cage.
Problem - sometimes it sticks open, meaning that the shifter sits over toward 5th gear instead of remaining centered.
On my other car, this catch is very obvious and sits on top of the cage. I pull the cover off the shifter to see if the setup was the same on the M3, but I don't see the catch. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers...Craig
--
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless
information.

Richard Sperry wrote:

Thanks! I'll look it up. I was hoping it would be easy, like on the Porsche 915 tranny, where all you have to do is pull the shifter cage.
Cheers...Craig