E36 Shifter

Question on an E36 M3 shifter. There's a spring-loaded catch that you push in to shift to 5th gear. This catch keeps the shifter centered in the cage.

Problem - sometimes it sticks open, meaning that the shifter sits over toward 5th gear instead of remaining centered.

On my other car, this catch is very obvious and sits on top of the cage. I pull the cover off the shifter to see if the setup was the same on the M3, but I don't see the catch. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers...Craig

Reply to
CJS

Yes there is a fix for this. If you ask BMW they say the fix is replace the transmission. (figures) Search

there are several threads on fixing that problem. If I remember correctly, it's relatively easy to fix, once the transmission is out of the car. (At which point, a ltw flywheel, M5 clutch, rear main seal, trans input seal, and replacing shifter bushing are no brainers.)

Reply to
Richard Sperry

Thanks! I'll look it up. I was hoping it would be easy, like on the Porsche 915 tranny, where all you have to do is pull the shifter cage.

Cheers...Craig

Reply to
CJS