E36 Suspension

Hi, quick question about shocks. My 98 318ti has the mtec suspension and has covered about 54k miles. I'm starting to think the car doesn't take corners like it used to and is a bit "wooly". Is this a reasonable time frame for the shocks to require replacement or is it just my mind trying to trick me into buying a new car?!

If it is worn, would it be just the shocks or is there anything else likely to go?

Reply to
zerouali

Rear shock top mountings. (have a close look at them)

JB

Reply to
JB

Worn shocks are no reason to buy a new car. Buy a new car if you want, but don't blame it on the shocks. Shocks cost less than $500 for all four and a shadetree mechanic -- you or I -- should be able to install them in an afternoon.

I suspect bushings to have failed by now as well. Actually, I'd suspect bushings ahead of the shocks, personally. I don't think your shocks should be gone with only 54k miles, but it has been a long time so they could be worn out by now even if the mileage is low.

Reply to
J Strickland