E36 vs. E46

Would anyone care to let me know what the main pros and cons are for the E36 and E46 models? And are there any thought about which was the better model during it's time.
I imagine this topic has been beaten to death in the past, so if there is a good thread I'd appreciate if you can direct me to it.
-Jonathan