E38 brake discs lifespan

Hi,
At a recent service my local dealer in Coventry said the front discs and pads needed changing, so I gave the go-ahead. Thing is, they were changed about two years ago (about 22k miles). That doesn't seem right,
I don't brake that hard.
Also, after changing the brakes, there is a judder on gentle braking at high speed, which goes away after about 250 miles.
Same judder happened two years ago after the change of discs, but the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Should discs wear down this quickly?
La Tercia Real *Leave* NoSpam in e-mail to reply.

Agreed. It doesn't seem right. I'd expect at least 2, maybe 3 pad changes before discs needed replacing. Maybe your dealer is changing them earlier than necessary. Next time ask the dealer to give you the old discs so you can check the wear for yourself.

Judder seems unusual, but as it goes away after about 250 miles I wouldn't be concerned about it. Mike.
Thanks for the reply Mike.
Car is back with the dealer to check what's wrong. They have come back saying the vibration is down to play in the brake reaction arms. Told them they changed them less than two years ago...they said in that case they should be able to replace them under warranty!
Sceptical if that is the problem though. They still maintain the disc wear is normal.
La Tercia Real *Leave* NoSpam in e-mail to reply.
La Tercia Real wrote:

It's usually a scam - they'll say something like "they're 80% worn so shall we change them?" That means there's 20% left so another 5k miles at least.
La Tercia Real wrote:

hang on... leave nospam in? what's the point in that!?
A little test...since I suspected that spammers would automatically remove NoSpam in addresses, I set up two appropriate addresses, one with and one without, to see which would get more spam.
Interesting that the NoSpam address *is* getting all the spam! So admittedly not such a good idea!
LaTerciaReal Do-what-you-like-to-the-e-mail-address to reply. :-)
La Tercia Real wrote:

That was pretty predictable. That is the whole point of munged email addresses. They require a person to manually un-mung them...
--
-Fred W

I would expect the pads to need changing, especially if you do a lot of town work. OTOH the disks should last nearer to 100k unless you are racing.

This will just be a very slight unevenness or misalignment of the disc, they can't be perfect. As you point out a couple of hundred miles and this will be smoothed out, so this is nothing to worry about.

NO
You should have had the rotors measured for run-out:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/brakekits.htm