e38 Check brake lining??

I've changed the front brake pads and the light is still on. I will check the rear pads and replace if needed. However is there a reset for this or
does the sensor detect the pads are fine and the warning goes away or could it be a bad sensor?

There is a wire at the front and one at the back. When the pads get too thin the wire is cut by the action of the brake disc. You must fit a new sensor wire, not dear.
The sensor that provides this warning is a tiny strip of metal that looks similar to a fuse. You need to replace the sensor at the time of doing the brake work.
There is one sensor on each axle, located on diagonal corners of the car.

could