E38 Sat Nav problem

I've got an 1999 UK model E38 735 which has an occasional fault on it's Mk2 satnav. I've deduced it's probably losing the calibration on the Gyro so I've got a replacement second hand unit which I'm about to install.

My question is this, can I just swap the units and expect it to work? What I'm concerned about is

1) should I disconnect the battery first 2) Will the break in power when the units are swapped over mean that the software will need to be re-loaded or the car re-coded as I only have the map CD and not the operating software CD

I'm a bit nervous about proceeding as an intermittent Sat Nav is better than no Sat Nav and taking it to BMW could be very expensive as they've quoted almost £1500 for a new Nav computer alone with labour on top.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Suggest you sign up to the yahoo group for sat nav: "bmwnav"

Lots of people who "stuff" there :)

--=20

jeremy ['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Reply to
Jeremy

I'll Look That up thanks

Suggest you sign up to the yahoo group for sat nav: "bmwnav"

Lots of people who "stuff" there :)

Reply to
Steve

I'm not sure to which part you refer but if the display comes up with "load software" you can download it from the yahoo group or a link from it and burn it to a CD or even get someone to send you one.

My Mk1 unit has no gyro - if that's the electronic compass - and does get a bit confused sometimes!

Reply to
adder1969