e39 2001 530i Replacing upper rear control arm and ball joint

e39 2001 530i Chris at German Autosport in Berkeley told me I need to replace the upper rear control arm and the ball socket - there was visible movement possible in the left rear wheel , while car was racked.

I have the Bentley Manual. I have replaced control arms on an E28 and an E34. This job does not look too bad given all the special tools

-- including the spring compressor

33 2 301 33 2 302 33 2 303 33 2 304 33 2 305 33 2 306

Questions:

Do I need to compress the spring? THese tools are going to cost, if I can find them. I find no help at e39 DIY archives.

Many Thanks

Reply to
mark barron

If it's one of the top links on here then no, you don't, and I doubt you do for anything else, although it might makes things a bit easier.

adder1969

I am so very grateful for your reply adder1969. Thank you, thank you.

Reply to
mark barron

Dear adder1969, I replaced the left rear control arm - upper. NO problem. I am now totally stuck, in that I can not push out the ball joint from the wheel bearing carrier. I took off the snap ring but can not push out the ball joint. I have used heat and gobs of penetrating oil. It is a California car. The ball joint extractor that I rented is intended for american cars and does not fit well.

I am talking about part #2 in the link you sent BALL JOINT 2 33326767748 $51.89 The Bentley Manual page 330-21 indicates that I need the following parts to remove this ball joint:

33 4 191 33 4 192 33 4 193 33 3 333 On page 330-3 of the Bentley this combination of tools is referred to as "Support tube set" I am new to this, but I expected the necessary tools to be the listing at the top of the same page, namely

"Rubber bushing removal tools set"

33 3 331 33 3 332 33 3 333 33 3 334

At baumtools.com I find B334191 Rear Axle Carrier Ball Joint Kit for $300

I have pushed the center shaft of the ball joint toward the center of the swing arm, that is toward the front of the car, and now the integral link, that is part #4 in the link you sent me does not mate well. I can not see getting this back together even for a flat bed.

Can you please advise me. Thanks again. Mark

Reply to
mark barron

I used more heat combined with a hand held steel cylinder and a hammmer to knock it out! More heat later together with 20 minutes in the freezer permitted the new BJ to slide in by hand.

Reply to
mark barron

The propblem I had with mine was that all the nuts and threads were rusted and I had to drill off most of the bolts etc. Took about 10 times longer to disassemble than to assemble.

Reply to
adder1969