E39 2003 Business Radio

I have an 520SE UK model E39, so no DSP like you lucky US owners. The system sounds reasonable but I would like better bass response. Has anyone had any
experience with replacement speakers. Would doing this improve the bass? Is it worth trying?
Tapani

E39 difficult to retrofit with decent ICE but speak to Presige Audio in Rickmansworth. They seem to know their stuff. Told me the only real solution is to repalce the head unit but that spoils the look of the dash (in my view).
http://www.prestige-audio.co.uk/auto/bmw-e39-m5-auto-1-24-37.html
Sparky

I'd disagree with that. The head unit is good. The amp is fair. The speakers suck. If you just want to bump the bass, a powered subwoofer will do wonders and you can add one in a fairly simply manner (check out infinity basslink). You can also upgrade the speakers (I find the E39 not only lacks bass, but has a rather harsh high-end as well) and a little bit of surfing will lead you to several nice solutions. If you want to replace the amp, its accessible in the trunk and quite easily replaced.
R / John