E39 530i Service Intervals - Maximum safe interval?

Page 2 of 2

I read that Merc were one of the first, so I'm not surprised BMW now do.
--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

wrote

No it doesn't. The E39 system monitors fuel burned only. Its a pretty good approximation of the service the engine has seen (highway miles - better mileage - oil lasts longer and vice versa). Supposedly, the E60 is more advanced.
R / John
Service intervals for a 530i in normal operation (mix of driving conditions) will be in the 15-16000 mile range between oil services. The service interval is Oil/Insp1/Oil/Insp2 etc. Your major inspections occur at approximately 32000 mile intervals (they include an oil service).

The UK service book has a diagram of the service lights which should be marked at each service so you can see it was done on time or not.

If the car is running perfectly at 140000 miles I'd say it's been properly serviced?
--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

There's always somebody who is not happy with his lot, however good it is. Thinks there's something wrong when there isn't...
These automotive forums are a good place for this, especially in worrying about oil-change intervals. "I have run my 2004 premium brand car for 7 000 miles since last service and the service indicator hasn't come up yet. Should I have changed oil at 3 000 miles...?...Will my engine blow up at my next drive?..."
DAS