E39 97 528i brake light question

My friend just had rear brakes, etc., put on her 97 528i (160K miles) and she has experienced some sort of electrical issue...the latest being that the shop (local service station) cannot determine why her brake lights will not work.

It's not a bulb issue...does anybody here have any suggestions as to what it may be?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
David Hageman

I apologize for asking what reads like a stupid question....it's just that the station that did the rear brake job cannot determine why the brake lights won't work.

She's tried a new fuse....no luck.

Was just hoping somebody may have experienced this issue and could save her some money spent on a mechanic charging for diagnostic time, etc..

But thanks anyway....I'm embarrassed as it is having to ask the question LOL!

David H.

Reply to
David Hageman

Some vehicles have a switch mounted on the support of the brake lever. The brake lever contacts the switch, and the lights go on. Such a switch merely needs to be adjusted as the travel is now much less.

No, I do not know whether or not this BMW uses this method.

Jim

Reply to
Jim