E39 ABS and ASC lights come on.

My 1998 535i has started showing the ABS and ASC lights. I was hoping it would go away but no such luck. Sometimes the lights do not come on immediately but when they do they come on together. Has anyone any ideas how to fix this? pete

Reply to
turtill

I have the same problem, hopefully somebody knows why.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Fairhurst

My guess, since no-one's piped up with a knowledgeable answer, would be an iffy ABS wheel sensor since they're also used by the ASC.

Beyond inspecting for visible damage and loose connections I suspect it's dealer diagnostics time...

Alistair J Murray

That would be 99% probability of being the ABS controller - about 620.00 from a discount dealer like Crevier BMW, plus about an hour to code the module at a dealer with a GT-1 or MODIC. Time to change the controller - about 15 minutes.

1% chance of it being a wheel speed sensor.

Do you lose speedo and ODO readings. Cruise control not working? ABS controller.

Reply to
spare-me-spam

te

Hi, Thanks for the info, mine has come on gradual over the past few months, it happened once then nothing for weeks, it has started to do it every trip now but only since the weather has turned wet. Whenever I stop and reverse they go out, then after one mile approx they come back on. Nothing else goes off, speedo etc all OK.

Reply to
Ken Fairhurst

One common cause of ABS problems is that the magnets in the wheel speed sensors pick up metallic particles which degrade the signal to the point of causing the system to fail. In view of the large cost differential between replacing the computer and cleaning off the wheel speed sensors it would certainly be worth a try. The fact that the problem came on gradually would also support this possibility. Except for connectors, electronic things usually fail abruptly and if it's a noisy connector that would be much cheaper to repair than replacing the computer.

Reply to
Jack

I am sorry I have not replied earlier but the box I am using now has been broken too. I asked my mechanic and he said he couldn't do it because it requires a machine to read the codes to see what wheel sensor it is playing up. My car is booked into a BMW dealers on Monday to be fixed and have new brake pads all round. pete

Reply to
turtill

Yes that is the answer I got too;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

No everything else is working alright thanks. pete

Reply to
turtill