E39 - Air Flow Meter - Clean or Replace it in case of problems ?

one more question about my E39 525 TDS (April 1997).
I read a lot of threads on the web dealing with the possibility to easily clean the AirFlow Meter without having to substitute it.
But I got also discouraging points of view, saying that once you remove it, you might have problems to put it back and get it working fine again.
So my question is if it's difficult or not to make this cleaning on my specific car.
Maybe for some models it's more difficult / delicate than fir other ones.
Thanks for your inputs. Alberto