E39 "ATF oil only"

Page 2 of 2
Congratulations - you've proved the other posters points..you shouldn't be trusted to open the hood.

What is 'power steering fluid' ? All the systems I've ever had use auto transmission fluid.
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

My suspicion is that it's ATF repackaged at a higher price. Most PS fluids I've seen are typically in pint containers. ATF is invariably 1 Qt or larger.
R / John
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You never had a car that calls for Pentosin CHF-11 or CHF7.1 hydraulic oil? My E30, E34, E36, E36/7 and each of my SAABs have all called for one or the other Pentosin. They are most certainly NOT repackaged ATF.
--
-Fred W

Must be a US thing. Dexron II is specified in the UK. I've never seen Pentosin on sale here.
--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

London SW

Probably not a US thing. US makers have specified ATF (of various types) for at least the last 15 years. I do have a GM factory manual for 1977, but it is not handy right now.
Jim