E39 bore wear problem.

I was looking through What Car price guide today and I noticed it warned of serious bore wear problems in late 1990 cars. Surely this problem was with early 1990 cars. Is this a mistake?
pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

I'd have said 95-98 M52 six cylinder cars and the 93-95 V8s.
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:02:40 +0000, John Burns

Well that is what I understood too as far as the V8 was concerned. I did not know about the M52 problem lasting that late though. pete
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

M52 was problematical until it became the dual-VANOS M52TU in March 98.
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:38:46 +0000, John Burns

Thanks John. pete p.s. I bought my bins from that place.
--
Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Really depends on where you are located. There is NO problem with the M5x series engines in the US.. until they got it sorted out - the M5x engines still came with a cast iron block, and then with steel inserts in the aluminum blocks.
Apparently the Euro cars weren't as lucky.

No 'problems' except that the E39 was designed for an aluminium block engine and the cast iron one didn't handle as well.

Euro cars run on Euro fuel - ie that from the Euro suppliers didn't suffer. Those run on fuel refined abroad and imported and sold at 'cheap' outlets may have done.
--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

I'd guess they're meaning the Nikasil problem. Do a search on this for chapter and verse - but in the UK I'd ignore it. The fuel responsible hasn't been around for many a year, and any damage caused by it would have shown up long ago.
--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:44:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yes I knew about the Nikasil problem and I thought that was all cleared up before the '96 models. The What Car mag says "Late '90s cars plagued by engine wear problems......" It doesn't say this in last year issue and I thought they must be referring to the Nikasil problem. My car is ok but I am now looking for a 540 Tourer so I want to be certain of what problems lay ahead of me. It seems none that I didn't know of previous to reading the magazine;-) pete