E39 Brake Pad/Lining Light

Hello,
I have a 2000 528i and just a few weeks ago the brake pad/lining indicator light appeared so my buddy and I replaced the front brake pads.
After the brake pads were replaced the indicator light still appears and I am guessing it has to be reset.
I recently took my car into my local mechanic and in addition to having an oil change, I requested they "reset" the brake pad/lining indicator light.
I got the car back and the light is still on and there was a note from the mechanic saying that it should go out soon. I thought this was odd since the last time I had it done was at a BMW dealer and the light was off right after the service.
What is strange is that I got the bill yesterday and it said "replaced front and back senssors and reset light.
I followed another thread in this group and the way I understand is after the sensors are replaced the light should go out.
What did my mechanic do or not do?
Thanks, Jeff

Perhaps you need a mechanic more familiar with your car.
Assuming the sensor(s) have been replaced correctly, you simply switch the ignition on without starting the engine. After a minute or so the light will go out. It will eventually go out under normal use - the time between switching on and actually operating the starter is incremented up to the same sort of delay. Might take several days, though.
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

The sensor is a small band that looks much the same as a fuse. This sensor must be replaced. There is one on the front and one on the rear, on diagonal corners from one another.