e39 car alarm

My alarm seems to go off from time to time for no reason. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it too sensitive?

I have traced this phenomenon to such things as WiFi, Cell/mobile phones and associated infrastructure.
I got my neighbour to move his WiFi unit from the front of his house to the back room and my alarm was again stable. Same thing happened at work but they couldn't move the WiFi transmitter so I move 4 parking places away from it and again no false alarms.
Another reason could be the bonnet/hood switch as it occasionally gets corroded - quick clean should help.
Failing battery is also another reason so get that checked and check current drain in quiescent state (everything off).