E39 Cell Question

I noticed that I have the option to install a bmw phone into the car. I have a GSM phone and don't want to use their TDMA/CDMA phone. Is it possible to
retrofit the car with GSM and download some sort of interface program on my smartphone (MPX 200) to have my address book and such in my car?
What year is your car? if it is after 2002 you can go bluetooth. I did and I have used both GSM and CDMA phones. It is great, worth the price for the retrofit.
2001 525i