E39 creaking rear suspension

Hi all,
E39 528i 1997
The rear suspension has started creaking. This happens when going over bumps, or when I bounce the back up/down. I intend to put it up on
stands tomorrow and take a look, but I know from experience that tracking down suspension noises can be a PITA.
Are there any known faults that cause this, or any tips for finding the cause?
TIA
--
Grunff

My E39 525TDS 1998 started doing similar. I had to have the rear shock absorbers replaced, as one of them turned out to be broken.
BUT before you try that option, check the "up-links" attaching the roll-cage to the underside of the car. If it's them, then the price to fix it will be a lot cheaper.