E39 Door lock problem.

528i '97 model. Bought about 6 months ago but I've only just noticed that the keys don't work in the door lock. Not siezed as the barrel moves slightly. The keys enter OK, they just don't turn. Both work fine with the buttons, and also manually on the boot and glove box locks.

I have two 3 button master keys. One I bought new from BMW a couple of months ago. Just wondered if this was a common fault with a known fix, or do I have to find out for myself what's wrong after removing the door card, and maybe stripping the lock. TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

First thing I would try is to squirt plenty on lube in the lock, then use the key to work the lube around the lock barrel/tumblers.

Reply to
Haydon

If all of the keys work in the ignition but none of them work in the doors then either the door or ignition lock sets have been changed and are no longer the same, or the key is not going fully into the door lock.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You could be right, but as the door lock barrel is subject to so little wear, I'm inclined to think it's more likely that the tumblers, pawls, in the barrel, whatever they are called have siezed. Not the barrel itself. That seems quite free. Or, or something has broken, stopping the barrel from turning. The key enters fully. It just doesn't turn. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If you think you have seized tumblers, then you need graphite.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

First I need to find out what's wrong with it. Graphite is not going to free it off. Whatever is preventing it turning is mechanical. Of that I'm certain. I'm not concerned about fixing it. Whatever the cause I'm quite capable of either repairing it or fitting a new lock. I just thaught if it was a known fault it might save me some time. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

There is no known fault that I am aware of.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Eh! There is - otherwise it would work ------- Oh I see you are not aware of the fault just that there is one or you know there isn't a fault and you can't understand why it wont work.

It is possible to dismantle the lock but unless you class your mechanical skill akin to that of a watchmaker then I'd try the penetrating oil route first possibly playing a hair drier on it at the same time to get the thing expanded slightly and maybe free of anything that might be gumming up the works.

Often well meaning persons put a little oil in the locks on a service but often the oil can is not "gun" oil or light machine oil but heavy engine oil - it has been known that people use cooking oil to lubricate delicate things like locks and sewing machines and wonder in 2 months time when the thing sticks together like glue it don't work.

Just a thought!

Reply to
Oscar

'Course, Jeffy is also not "aware of" things like evolution.

Reply to
dizzy