E39 driver's seat clip

Does anybody know what that metal clip on the right driver's seat rail on an E39 is for? I know it prevents the driver's seat from going as far back as
the passenger's seat, but for what purpose? I'm 6' 3" so I took it off, but I wonder if I'm somehow making the car dangerous to drive or something. Thanks, Richard