E39 - factory-fit phone system / armrest question

An E39 I went to look at yesterday (2001 model) has a built-in phone system - the armrest has a built-in cradle into which a specific model of motorola phone can be placed. It is of no interest to me:
a) I own a Sony Ericsson b) It would require swapping SIM cards if I was to acquire a suitable handset (shouldn't be hard off ebay for example)
The car doesn't have any built-in bluetooth.
The armrest is therefore a "bit ugly" and as it serves no useful purpose, I was wondering if it would be possible to replace it with a "normal" one. This armrest slides back and forwards as opposed to hinging at the rear but underneath I undersatnd it is more kit related to the phone rather than a cubby hole.... any suggestions?

--
jeremy

Try Googling: E39 armrest
Here's one example: http://www.540i6.com/armrest.html

That looks like a helpful link - ta.
--

jeremy

I have an E46 with the built in phone and also have a Sony Ericsson phone. You will have to source a specific phone and watchout for the phones firmware as they do not dupport phonebook sync with all phones. I found the following URL on the BMW site, maybe of use:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bluetooth /
Works well once you get it paired correctly!
Regards
Ian

says...

Thanks but, unless it's a simple solution, I'll probably ditch the in- car system (well get rid of the armrest and simply not use any of it) and then use a wires-free bluetooth kit (e.g. the kind of kit that clips to the sun visor).
--

jeremy