E39 headlight washers

My windscreen and headlight washer system is leaking all over the place - it seems unnecessarily complicated - but I should manage except for one piece, a circular thing just behind the bumper at the right front corner. It is branded Hella, black plastic about 2" diameter, has three hose connections and is clearly designed to split the flow into two for the two headlamp washer nozzles. With the washer bottle full, it drips, and I haven't seen the headlamp washers work yet so I suspect it all sprays out here. The back of it is open but looks like it should have a cover. The Bentley manual does not mention it at all (just got this from Amazon and am less than impressed by it). I've found the part on realoem.com, see URL below, part number 3, but that covers three hoses as well. Any ideas like has it indeed fallen apart and can you get a new one by itself? This is a

1998 540.

Dan Buchan

pull off the hoses going to each sprayer and with a mouth full of water blow into them. This will check they are not blocked. If both are blocked this might have contributed to blowing off the back cover.

are they that expensive as a kit then.............

Reply to
Lez Pawl

I'll check them. Is it (don't even have a name for it) definitely supposed to have a cover then?

No idea. Won't get to the dealer until the 2nd when I'm back at work. The hoses could be quite long so it could be a bit excessive; but there might be no choice.

Reply to
Dan Buchan