E39 Outside Driver's Door Handle

Group,
The outside handle broke and I have the new one, painted by the dealer. I know you take the grommit out and you can replace it without taking the
whole door panel off.
What piece do I push / pull to get the old handle off and put the new on one? Should I lube it first?
Thanks,
Ray, Cleveland OH '98 528, 140k miles and good as new

Locate the eye of the latch and the housing it slides in. You need to push a thin piece of steel - say 0.025" thick approx - between the latch and the housing to release the catch. Some say a thin screwdriver works, but I cut an old feeler gauge to the width of the slot in the housing. With that in place hook the latch towards you. I used the hook from a set of printed circuit board tools - but you might be able to form one from stiff wire.

I did. And remember to paint it. ;-)
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...