E39 Overheated briefly, help..

Anyone have any ideas. On an E39 520, I pulled over recently after having driven about 45mins. I left the engine running with the AC on, while I was waiting for about 30mins. I suddenly noticed that the car temp guage had gone into the red. I immediately switched off the engine. I left the car for about an hour to cool then came back and checked the coolant level and it seemed fine and I also saw the fan turning when I restarted the engine then,which left me puzzled.

I decided to limp back home, but as I was driving back, the temp guage never hit red again but practically teased me all the way back by moving between normal (middle) to abnormal (~3/4 but not red though), the thing was it was doing it in sudden spikes. First it would drop to normal, then a while of driving, it would after a moment suddenly spike to 3/4 of the guage but not red.

What I found confusing is that after a few hours later, it simply returned to normal when I drove the car and now just seems to be at normal temp even though I have used the car for long 40mile journey, the guage now seems to only go to the normal position. Although I haven't used the AC then and I'm using the heater anyways.

Anyone know what the problem could be as I'm quite confused. I don't think a car overheats while idling and fixes itself, even though I know that the E39 are prone to intermittent faults which come and go as they please. Any ideas??

Reply to
ChrisJ

Check for a coolant leak, pinhole sized. The coolant level is low, but not enough to get hot real fast. I had the same problem and at idle for more than 2 minutes would hit the red zone. There was a big air bubble in the system, 1 liter big. Luckily I caught it in time.

Bill Mississippi

Reply to
Bill

My V8 did that first time i used the heater in anger this autumn. I rebled the cooling system and it's been fine since.

Reply to
John Burns

"ChrisJ" wrote

Likely there were bubbles/air in the cooling system that eventually (especially after using the heater) escaped the motor (to the reservoir).

If the car overheated with the a/c on, I'd be sure to check the electric fan and it's relay. Certainly a system pressure test to detect a leak is in order, too.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Reply to
Jack

Your thermostat is likely giving up. You might need to replace also the aux fan clutch and maybe the water pump.

Reply to
Max