E39 overheating

Threaded View

Hello,

Two nights ago I was driving along and looked down and notice the temp
guage was in the red. Pulled over immediately and waited for it to cool
down. Started it up and drove for about two miles, everything was normal
and then it heated up again. Had to pull over and let her cool down a
few times before getting home.

Next day drove to work. Worked fine for about 5 miles, then heated up
again. Did not go into the red, however it constantly went up and down.

Took it to the local mechanic today. He told me it was the fan clutch.
He replaced the fan clutch. Drove it home today, half way there you
guessed it....temp was heating up. It did NOT go into the red. It got to
about the one o'clock position. Temp went up and down constantly.

Got to my driveway. Temp was running hotter than normal but did not go
into the red while the car was idling in the driveway.

Here is whats interesting!! I turned on the heat, and moved the vent
control to the heat position. The temp immediately went down to normal!

Then as an experiment I turned the AC on and moved the vent to the cold
position. The temp guage started going up. Then I turned on the heat
again and moved the vent to the hot position, then temp went down!

HELP! What could it be?

Yes the radiator has plenty of coolant.

Do you think it's the thermostat?

Re: E39 overheating

This is bad.

It's not the fan clutch.  If it were the fan clutch, it would be running
hot at idle but not at highway speed.

This is reasonable.  You're putting another heat exchanger in the
chain along with the radiator.

The thermostat is the first thing I'd check, but I'd also check the
water pump and the flow rate through the radiator.  A clogged radiator
will cause just this sort of issue.

How many miles are on it and when was the last time the water pump was
replaced?
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Re: E39 overheating

Scott did not want to mention it, but overheating the 525i can cause serious
(fatal) damage to the head.

There is a chance you've done a bad thing. If you have water control issues
from this point going forward -- you have to repeatedly fill the radiator
but there are no signs of leakage -- then this suggests that the head is
cracked. A cracked head is never good. Sometimes it's worse than others, but
it's never good in the grand scheme of things.

Re: E39 overheating

I haven't had to fill the fluid. It has has no leaks.

I don't believe there is any head damage, The other night when it went into
the red I pulled over immediately. There was no boiling or steam.

I even took the radiator cap off - no steam.

Today the temp fluctuates up and down, but hasn't gone into the red.

Do you think it's safe to drive for the weekend?

Re: E39 overheating

I cracked my head, and it took 6 months to discover it.

If your car went to the Red, that's a very bad sign. You DO NOT need to do
anything immediately. Just keep an eye on the coolant, and if you find that
you're filling more than you formerly did, then this is an indication that
the head is damaged.

You said it overheated multiple times, and got to the red at least once.
That's what happened to me.

Re: E39 overheating

No.  Pull the thermostat out immediately and check it.  It's okay to
drive the car without any thermostat in the housing for a short while.
So if the thermostat proves to be bad, leave it out while you drive to
the auto parts store for a new one.

If it's good, test the radiator or take it to someone else who can.
You might want to risk driving it short distances but you're taking
a chance when you do because the consequences of overheating ANY of
these engines are pretty severe.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Re: E39 overheating

No. The consequences could be very expensive.

The E39 has a strange temperature gauge which doesn't read actual
temperature. It's controlled by the engine ECU which does - and translates
this into almost just a warning light. It will show the engine warming up
- then stay exactly in the middle over a wide range of actual temp - the
range that is normal for any engine. Go above this and it rapidly climbs
and the warning light comes on.
 There is a way of making the dash readout the real temp - but you'll have
to Google for that. That might give clue as to what's happening.

The obvious thing to check first is the thermostat  - these are cheap
enough to just replace on spec. You might well need a hew housing too,
though as these are plastic and sometimes break on removal. The next thing
to replace is the waterpump. Both of these require draining of the system
to some extent - so refill with the correct anti-freeze and follow the
bleeding procedure.

If it's overheating when cruising with the AC off the fans don't matter as
the air flow through the rad is enough. Using AC in slow moving traffic
can cause overheating if the electric aux fan doesn't work - and this is a
very common fault. The aux fan should run all the time the AC is on - and
also if the coolant temperature goes high with it off. Is yours working?

The viscous coupled fan can normally be heard working at low speeds if you
rev the engine - it makes more noise than normal as the coupling locks up
at high temperature and makes it run at full speed rather than just idling
round.

--
*Warning:  Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: E39 overheating

No it only comes on if the coolant gets very warm.

His should be running, but with the thermostat almost certainly broken it
won't be doing a lot of good.

OTOH putting the heater on, even if it leads to a very hot cabin will remove
some heat from the engine (the fact this works suggests the pump is probably
OK).

Given the time of year the suggestion to just remove the thermostat, if this
can be done without causing leakage, is a good idea.

Re: E39 overheating

Are you absolutely certain about that?

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: E39 overheating

It does on my E38/M62 735i.  Sure having the AC on, especially when idling
is likely to raise the water temperature and bring it on, but it does not
run all the the time it is on.

Can't imagine the E39 is that different as the mechanicals etc. are pretty
much the same.

Re: E39 overheating

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:46:57 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

The e39 auxiliary fan runs whenever the AC is on, regardless of
temperature.

Re: E39 overheating

I'm with Dave on this.
On my 528 the aux fan comes on with the AC. Even with a cold engine.
Mike.

Re: E39 overheating

No - replace the thermostat immediately - this is $5 part and an easy DIY.

Re: E39 overheating

Are you absolutely sure about that price?

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: E39 overheating

Ones to fit a BMW?

Don't think we know the E39 model in question, but the supplier I use -
the cheapest in the UK - charges between about 12-55 gbp depending on
model. So a dealer will be much more.

There was a time when most cars used the same design of thermostat.
Doesn't seem to be the case now.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: E39 overheating

Later models of the E39 (with the 2.8L engine) use the electrically-
controlled thermostat.  They cost $75-$100.  The days of the
$5 thermostat are gone.

FloydR

Re: E39 overheating

In which case isn't a wiring fault more likely?

Re: E39 overheating

It's the freaking (electrical) actuator that fails.  It's exposed to
heat and coolant; bound to eventually fail.

FloydR

Re: E39 overheating

Thanks for all the great replies.

I think I made some progress with my problem.

I forgot to mention when the mechanic replaced the fan clutch her replaced a
hose for the radiator, therefore flushing the system and putting new coolant
in...

As I stated before, "after" it was fixed the temperature climbed frequently
but never in the red.

Now, two days later it apears to be working fine.

Could it be my mechanic didn't bleed the system properly?

I'm going to be watching it very carefully until I'm convinced it's fixed.

Thanks for all your great input

Jeff

Re: E39 overheating

Yes, that's possible. I'm not sure it would cause the symptoms you report,
but it is certainly within the realm of possibility.

My car had no apparent problems, except that it drank water. Watch the
coolant consumption.

Site Timeline