E39 rear door vapor barrier failure

My e39 is booked in to the dealer for the fourth time in 18 months for the rear door vapor barrier to be fixed. The dealer acknowledges that it's a "design flaw" in the car, and I've never been charged to have it fixed even though the car's now out of warranty. I know it's the subject of a TSB, but I'm now getting really pissed off with periodic soggy carpets and a damp, smelly car.

I'm just curious about whether there's some more serious or longer term fix for this. A "secret" warranty, or something like that?

Reply to
Dean Dark

The vapor barrier was fixed again by the dealer, at no cost. They mentioned that the one that had failed, only fitted in the last year or so, was a "redesigned" one and it caused them some surprise that it had failed.

It was news to me that there is a redesigned vapor barrier; the dealer was trying to dismiss its failure as an installation error.

What do I care? I just want the car to stop smelling like a wet dog when it rains.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Is this failure in all years of e39? or just certain ones?

Reply to
Branden Nelsen

It's the subject of a TSB up to the 2001 model year, as far as I can see.

Reply to
Dean Dark

TSB? Trustees Savings Bank?

Reply to
Jo Ling

Jo Ling said

Technical Service Bulletin

Reply to
Homer.Simpson

Ah. D'oh.

And what implications do these TSBs have?

Reply to
Jo Ling

Actually covers later years also. Had it replaced on my '03 touring, haven't had a problem since.

Reply to
admin