E39 Speed Sensor question

Hello I have a 2000 528i (E39)

My mechanic informed me the left front speed sensor is not working. I opted not to have them replace it due to their high cost.

Instead I was told by a friend to buy the part from eBay which cost me $38.00

Is this something that's easily replaced? Can I just use the jack and remove the tire/wheel and replace the speed sensor?

Thanks in advance for advice

Reply to
Jeff

Never mind I decided to give it a shot and it wasn't that hard.

The hardest part was being worried the car would come crashing down on me from using the jack that seems rather flimsey.

Jeff wrote in

Reply to
Jeff

The short answer is, yes, you can replace it yourself.

The slightly longer answer is, if you gotta ask if you can do it, maybe you can't.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

They make Jack Stands for that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

He did. And he could.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Never seen warnings about working on the car using just the car jack to support it? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My mechanic wanted to charge me $266 for parts and labor to replace the speed sensor. This wasn't even a BMW Dealership!

Yea it was real easy to do

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Jeff