E39 UK wired phone / Motorola v50

My E39 is wired for a phone and has the satnav/tv etc, multi-function steering wheel and the armrest with the cradle for the phone.
I have been informed it is designed for a Motorola v50.
I have also been informed that BMW can suppply for 320 ish +VAT and that this the one that has the BMW software loaded to enable full integration.
My question is, if anyone knows, can a standard v50 be used and if so, what functions does one lose?
--
jeremy ['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

I have used a normal (i.e., non-BMW) Motorola V50 in my E39 M5 and it seems to do everything. I actually have three non-BMW V50's and they all work. The only difference that I am aware of is that the BMW phone shows a BMW logo at power on, though there may be other differences.
Be aware that many of the V50's advertised on eBay as "BMW enabled" do not have the BMW software on them and are just standard V50s.
320 is a _lot_ of money to spend on such an old phone. I spent less than that on a bluetooth module which means that I can use any Bluetooth enabled phone in my car.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

What Bluetooth module? Does it link into the buttons on the E39, or is it just generic.
Tom

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I bought mine secondhand, but if you have a look at http://www.e38bluetooth.com/ it should give you some pointers. Don't mind the "e38" in the domain name, they do E39 stuff as well.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
says...

The 2 of which I am aware is that you don't get the ID of the caller when incoming calls are received and, if the ignition is switched off and the phoine remains in the car, the phone will not continue to draw a current from the battery for charging purposes.

Yep - I just bought one via ebay having done a bit of research - works very well indeed - 30 + p&p

Can you tell me more about this? Can I get a bluetooth module for my E39? Any suggested suppliers?
--
jeremy ['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I bought mine secondhand, but if you have a look at http://www.e38bluetooth.com/ it should give you some pointers. Don't mind the "e38" in the domain name, they do E39 stuff as well.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
says...

works well in the car.
--
jeremy ['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]