e39 winshield washer line

I have a '99 528i (U.S. model) and I have a silly sounding problem. The washers stopped working but there is fluid and the pump runs. The jets (on
the hood) don't seem to be blocked. When I try to use the washer, water comes out from a hole in the wheelwell. The reservoir is fairly far down behind a heat shield. Before I start taking random things out, can someone tell me where the lines run and where I can start looking?
thanks
Rich
RichK wrote:

A simple question deserves a simple answer. Follow the trail of where the fluid is coming out. You will probably find a hose disconnected or broken there.
-Fred W